Creating a menu is an essential part of building a website in WordPress. Menus provide a user-friendly navigation system, allowing visitors to easily navigate through your site’s pages. In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of creating a menu in WordPress.
Table of Contents
1. Access the WordPress Dashboard: Log in to your WordPress admin area by entering your credentials (username and password). Once logged in, you will see the Dashboard.
2. Go to the Menus Page: In the Dashboard, find the “Appearance” tab on the left sidebar and hover over it. A drop-down menu will appear, click on the “Menus” option. You will be redirected to the Menus page.
3. Create a New Menu: On the Menus page, click on the “Create a new menu” link. Give your menu a name and click the “Create Menu” button.
4. Add Items to the Menu: Select the pages or custom links that you want to include in your menu from the left column. Check the boxes next to the items you want to add and click the “Add to Menu” button. The selected items will appear in the right column.
5. Arrange Menu Items: To rearrange the menu items, simply drag and drop them into the desired order. The top item will be the main item displayed on your website’s navigation.
6. Define Menu Locations: Depending on your WordPress theme, you may have predefined menu locations. Select the location where you want your menu to be displayed by checking the box next to the corresponding location in the “Menu Settings” section.
7. Customize Menu Settings: Expand the “Menu Settings” section and explore additional options such as adding a description to your menu or enabling the “Automatically add new top-level pages” feature. Make the desired changes and click the “Save Menu” button.
In this step-by-step guide, we have covered the process of creating a menu in WordPress. By accessing the Dashboard, navigating to the Menus page, creating a new menu, adding items, arranging them, defining menu locations, and customizing settings, you can easily create a user-friendly menu for your WordPress website.
Remember to keep your menu concise and organized, including only essential pages or custom links. By following these steps, you can enhance your website’s navigation and improve the user experience.